However, I am petite AND curvy so oftentimes I struggle to find a good fit. I'm not even talking perfect, just good enough. For reference, I'm 5'2 and currently a size 8. I'm larger on the bottom, but I have big arms so tight sleeves are usually an issue.
I've never considered myself an expert on petite shopping or sizing, because I think any good tailor can solve most of the frustration. My philosophy will always be to wear what you want and what makes you feel confident, regardless of any "rules." I know midi lengths don't flatter my body, but I wore them consistently a couple years ago because they made me feel feminine. Plus, I love a good throwback to different fashionable eras.
These days, I'm sticking to what works best for my body and I think these general tips can help anyone who is also petite but curvy. They aren't rules! Just formulas I use when I don't want to bother to think about what I'm going to wear.
1) Use jackets, blazers, long cardigans etc. to cinch the waist and smooth things over.
* Tip: I wear these spanx boyshorts underneath ALL of my dresses. Nate laughs and calls me a grandmother but if they are good enough for the movie stars, they are good enough for me! Little lumps and bumps are magically gone.
2) Nude shoes elongate your legs, making them appear slimmer.
3) Pointy toe shoes also create a similar effect no matter the color and even if they are flat. As much as I love the classic shape of a round-toe ballet flat (see below), I've discovered that pointy toe flats are more flattering.
4) If you're going to wear a trendy of-the-moment dress that doesn't offer much shape, make sure the accessories are simple and structured. Showing a little skin can't hurt.
5) Skinny denim in a dark wash is your bum and thighs' best friend. I love some distressing, but clean looking jeans are universally flattering.
* Tip: Dress to enhance the smallest part of you. For me, I like to accentuate my waist and legs. For you, it may be your shoulders and back. Dressing to play up your favorite features is a lot more fun and mentally boosting than dressing to cover up what you don't like.
Favorite jacket here
Favorite pumps here
Favorite nude sandals here
Do you have any tips that you swear by?